Sunday, June 14, 2009

Running

Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm learning to run as a form of exercise. Novel for me. I've always been intimidated to run. I know it's hard, and I have kinda gimpy knees. I always preferred to get my cardio an "easier" way (the elliptical, taekwondo workouts, biking). I've avoided running for most of my life---until recently. Several months ago, something inspired Ricky to start working out more seriously again, and this time he engaged in running as part of his regular workout. I'm not exactly sure if, for him, it was the chance to go to umpire school or just a more general desire to get back in shape, but shortly after he began, I became inspired.

This husband of mine (who I'd never seen be at all interested in cardio...he'd do it now and then because he should and then quickly jet off to the weight room to spend most of his time) was spending a lot of time on the treadmill. Not only that, he really seemed to be enjoying it. I was intrigued. I also thought that if he really learned to run and enjoyed it, that it would be good if I could keep up. After all, we live in "track town USA" where there are more running trails than I could ever explore and amazing weather to run outside.

So my quest began. I'm trying to retrace my journey and remember exactly when I stepped on the treadmill for the first time in ages. I know it was sometime before Mother's day but not much before. So, that means I've been learning to run (notice I'm not saying I'm a "runner"---F.A.R. from that and more on that later) for at least 6 weeks. I'm making good progress, but it is HARD. The first day I could jog for about 6-7 minutes at a time before needing to walk. This week, I had several days where I ran for 30 minutes straight a little faster than 5mph average (5mph is a 12 min mile). One day, I ran over 4 miles. I'm feeling more confident, but each date with the treadmill is a challenge. However weird it sounds, learning to run has been a fun challenge. I can feel the effects of the work out all day long. My body is re-shaping itself a bit, and hopefully, I'm losing a few pounds too.

Today, was a new challenge. I did my first outdoor run. It wasn't too far, and I wasn't too fast. But I survived. Running outside is hard for me. I knew it would be. I have no idea how to pace myself, and I have less will-power without the treadmill forcing my steps. But, Ricky ran with me (he's done the outside adventure a few times now) and encouraged me. We ran for about 20 minutes, came back by the house and got the dogs, and ran/walked briskly with them for another 15 or so minutes. It was fun, and I'm looking forward to the next time.

All this to say, I'm really enjoying learning to run. I'm enjoying the challenge, and I'm enjoying that Ricky and I are kind-of doing this together. I appreciate the support and competition to keep up with him. I appreciate that this is impacting other areas of our lives (how we eat, etc.). It's really not about weight loss (although, that's a nice perk). It's becoming something we can enjoy and do together, something that makes us feel better, and something that is a new challenge. I KNOW I'm far from being a "runner." I see others around me who are runners, and I am not there yet. Not sure if I'll ever be...don't really think I want to be (but that may change). But, I'm learning to do something new, and I'm enjoying it.

Related to seeing runners around me. Ricky and I got to go with his friend Tim to the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene last Sunday. It was great. It's a really fun track meet, and this year they had more olympic medalists (34) compete than ever before in an American track meet. We saw several fastest runs of the year and some other cool records. I definitely felt that I could appreciate what the athletes do now that I've embarked on the journey of learning to run...and understanding the work it takes me to run a mile in 11 minutes ;-).
Among lots of other neat races, we saw 13 of 16 men run a mile in under 4 minutes.

And we saw Jennifer Berringer from Colorado become only the 3rd American woman to ever run a mile under 4 minutes. She finished a close second in the race, but I'll leave you with this picture of her as she realizes what she's just done as an inspiration for us. So, while I may never be a runner like Jennifer, I am excited about learning something new and am looking forward to reaping the benefits in other areas of my life, too! Hopefully, we will remember to seize each day as a new opportunity and enjoy the challenges (and obstacles) as well as the victories.

No comments: