Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday

It's finally Friday. I'm officially surviving week 2 of the quarter. This quarter, as I knew it would be, is H.E.C.T.I.C. My days typically start before 8, and I'm never home before 5 (several days a week it's closer to 7 or 8 or sometimes 9). I enjoy the activities that make up my days--observing kindergarten kids, working with teachers, observing high school kids, working with other students in my program, teaching classes, teaching taekwondo, working out, and running the day-to-day errands. Needless to say I end up pretty worn out. I had some fun and not-so fun updates this week, and I'll add some pictures later... ;-)

My new macbook came AND I almost have everything installed on it that I want. I've been in close contact with Kyle who is teaching me all the cool tools and tricks that make macs so special. I love that he asks me, "Now where do you think you would go for that?" I'm going to have to learn to adjust to the jet engine take-off sound the macbook makes when reading a CD but other than that I think it will, without a doubt, exceed my laptop expectations. It was interesting to go pick it up from the FedEx ground place, which was completely surrounded by chain-link fencing and a call button for guests to be "let in." (I guess they take security more serious than UPS?) I'll be thinking of a name for the macbook...but I'm pretty sure the gender is female...Let me know if you have ideas.

I haven't heard officially about my interview, but I did get an email saying that they haven't forgotten me, that I interviewed great, and that they plan to check my references starting Tuesday and have the HR person contact me next week! I think that sounds like a good thing.

In other not-so-good (but in some ways not-so-bad) news, Ricky found out he was not accepted into the MS Athletic Training program. He hasn't taken physics (which wasn't required by his program but is a newly added pre-req for the Oregon AT program) and his GRE scores were a little lower than they like. While he felt rejected, we both know God has a plan. In some ways it opens up a lot of different doors for us. If I get the job in Portland area, he has some flexibility to decide if he wants to stay in Eugene at the high school or take the year off from athletic training to umpire and ref or if he wants to work part (or full) time as a HS athletic trainer in the Portland area... While it's exciting to have some options, I want him to decide what HE really wants to do, and if you know Ricky, you know that deciding what to have for dinner can be challenging. So, I know he's feeling some pressure with this new window of opportunities, but this time he gets to make the choice. Keep that in your prayers for us.

In better news, Ricky was accepted to the state (or region?) collegiate umpire's association, which is exciting for him. He's headed to Portland tonight with a couple other guys for tomorrow's meeting. Should be exciting. I have the house to myself... Wii here I come! ;-) (feel free to laugh at the sight of me playing wii and the dogs enjoying the show)!

No comments: