Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mr. President


It wouldn't be a good blog if I didn't take a moment to reflect on my emotions in response to today's events... 

First thing this morning, I had a meeting on campus with Rob (i.e., very important researcher who makes sure I'm taken care of financially while in graduate school) to go over the results and implications of a study we recently completed. When I got to campus, I saw Cindy (my advisor) literally dancing down the halls... apparently elated with joy for the changing of Presidential guard. Several times during my meeting with Rob we were interrupted by the sound of "testing" computer speakers and staff popping in to tell us we were "missing it." Where at one point Rob matter-of-factly (you have to know him to appreciate it) said, "Well, it's not until 9am." "Yeah" Anne replied, "But you're missing all the build up activities." We completed our meeting, and Rob headed to the conference room to watch the activities while I headed home to watch with my hubby. I heard the oath "live" on the radio as I pulled in the garage, and then I re-watched the previous hour's events on the DVR with my hubby. I continued to remain glued to the tv until about 1:20 pm (Pac time) when I had to drag myself away and head to class.

There's just something neat about the history that our country made today. Don't get me wrong. I'm more conservative than President Obama, and I do not believe he is going to save the world by any means. I know I'm not going to agree with some (possibly many) of his policies. But he is a young, bi-racial man whose father, as he said, would've been refused service in many restaurants only 60 years ago. President Obama came from nothing, chose paths of service, and is now our President. I think he will fight for improved education and healthcare for those who need it most. And if nothing more, I'm amazed at the huge leap Our country took in overcoming its not-so-pretty history today. That's what brings tears to my eyes and keeps me glued to the t.v. President Obama represents a new face of confidence and a new step forward. He doesn't represent perfection, but he definitely represents change. It's exciting to be a part of history.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a small child, I lived a block and a half from Little Rock's Central High School (late 1940's to 1954). What I have seen! This presidency almost defines hope for me.

Linda (Laura's mom).