Sunday, December 7, 2008

End of quarter stress

Well, it's Sunday. I like Sundays, especially now that Ricky and I have a church that we enjoy attending. But this particular Sunday, I feel stressed. It's more than the end of quarter stress that usually comes along with finals week. This time it's "getting a dissertation up and running, working out logistics, planning lots of details, and training people to help me" stress.

I really want to enjoy this experience. This dissertation will be the only thing that I finish graduate school with that is purely mine. It has been mine from the beginning, and the final product is all mine. Honestly, it doesn't even really matter what the data look like. The study just has to get done the way I proposed to do it, and I'll be eligible for a PhD. But it's still stressful. If you know me, you know I like to do things well or not do it at all... It's that side of me that's competitive, not super competitive but just the fighter. So, as I sit here preparing to plan for the last two weeks before the Christmas break to get all the logistics of my dissertation worked out, I'm stressed. For my sake and the sake of my husband, say your prayers. I need to let go a little and just enjoy it, and I don't think I can do it on my own.

I want to say how thankful I am for Ricky. I love that he's worked hard to help me have a good weekend, despite my stress. He took me to see some pretty Christmas lights last night and to the Four Christmases movie today. Both helped me to enjoy the spirit of this time of year and relax. Now, on to tackling dissertation to dos.

No comments: