Friday, December 12, 2008

Little Abby




It's hard to explain the emotion I feel today, December 12, 2008. It's Abigail Katherine Shachmut's birth day. She was born this morning and is happy and healthy--an answered prayer. I am so very excited and happy for Kyle and Laura. I know they are going to be the best parents ever, and I'm so very proud to be Abby's godmommy. I know she has an amazing life in front of her, and I can't wait to share in it with her. I am so blessed that I can be a part of it.

As I write this, my eyes are filling with tears...it's so crazy. It's so very much like the day I found out Laura was pregnant...as if it were happening to me (but different at the same time). I know I must have spent as much time those first few days thinking about it as she did. I know my thoughts were different in scope from hers but, still, it never left my mind. And today, while I'm so excited, I just wish I were there. I know there are other of their family members who feel the same way; I just hate being all the way across the country on such a life-changing day (literally!). I think that's why I'm not totally sure how to describe my emotions. Because I'm so proud and happy, but it's bittersweet to be so far away when my friends experience this amazing day.

I called the gift store at the hospital where they are staying to order a baby gift, and I was just sad and excited all over again. I wanted to be there to pick it out--no, I don't want the cheesy one that says "born at st. elizabeth's hospital." I want the perfect one--that's cuddly and soft and just says "Abby." The girl picked one out for me, and I'm sure it was great (kyle sent me a picture later)...But the point was...I wanted to pick it out. Well, I guess it's moments like this when you learn just how close you are to someone and just how much they mean to you. Kyle and Laura are two of my favorite people in the world, and I am so happy for them. I can't wait to meet Abby, and I can only look forward to the day that we are next door neighbors..dropping the kids off with the daddies and mommies going shopping. ;-)

Welcome, Abby. Happy Birth Day. We've been waiting for you, and you are so very loved. Great work Kyle (and especially Laura). She's beautiful, and I am so very excited to meet her.

2 comments:

jennybee said...

Beautifully put, Billie Jo. And I know exactly how you feel, every word (except substitute aunt for godmommy). My eyes teared up reading that, too. What a wonderful day, and yes, bittersweet.

I'm so glad they have friends like you and Ricky. You guys are going to be awesome at the godparenting gig. Congrats to you, too!

And good work on the blog. I like it!

Anonymous said...

How happy I am that you and Rick are Abigail's Godparents! You are dear to me. This is such a wonderful, wonderful day! We have much happiness in store for us. I agree with everything you said, too.

Granny in love (Linda)